- SafeConsole Server: 5.3.2 270
- Device Client - 4.8.40+ or 6.2+
- Note: This feature is not available for all device client versions.
- Valid Anti-Malware License
On supported devices, the McAfee Anti-Malware client software downloads virus definition file updates directly from update.nai.com servers at McAfee.
If you are using SafeConsole to manage supported SafeConsole devices, you can configure devices to download the virus update (.DAT) files from a location you specify - such as a locally hosted server - to reduce your internet bandwidth usage.
To configure an alternative download server for McAfee virus definition updates:
1. Set up a web server to host the anti malware definition files.
2. Copy the contents of http://update.nai.com/products/commonupdater/ (including the directory structure) to a location on the web server.
3. Make sure the computers on which devices are used can access the files over the network.
4. Set up a script to regularly download updates from McAfee to your web server.
For example, you can schedule the following sample command to run:
wget -r http://download.nai.com/products/commonupdater/
This will download files to a "download.nai.com" directory in the directory from which the command is run. You may need to alter this to suit your particular needs. Documentation can be found at:
To update your policy within SafeConsole:
- Log into SafeConsole and access the Policy page.
- Click on the policy you wish to edit by finding it in the policy section and clicking Modify.
- Find the Anti-Malware section and click on it to expand.
- If it's not already enabled, check the box to enable it.
- Enter the custom URL from above into the box.
- Click Save.